There are many mental health help lines offering support for anxiety, depression, body image issues and alcohol and substance abuse available in Australia. Many offer 24/7 or extended hours, and some also have online chat services.
If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 000 or go to your nearest hospital emergency department.
If you’re struggling with mental health, speaking to your GP is a great first step on your road to recovery. But if you need to speak to someone more urgently, there are many all-hours counselling services by phone or online chat available in Australia.
24/7 Phone Counselling Services
- Beyond Blue | 1300 22 4636
- Beyond Blue chat online
- Beyond Blue – email
- Lifeline Australia | 13 11 14
- Lifeline online chat
- Open 24/7
- Kids Helpline | 1800 55 1800
- MensLine Australia | 1300 78 99 78
- Suicide Call Back Service | 1300 659 467
Support for Veterans and their famililes
- Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling | 1800 011 046
Support for LGBTQI+ people
- Qlife – LGBTI peer support | 1800 184 527 – (3PM-Midnight every day)
Support for First Nations people
- Brother to brother 24-hour crisis line | 1800 435 799
- 13Yarn | 13 92 76
- The National Indigenous Postvention Service – After Suicide Support 24/7 | 1800 805 801
- Butterfly – Every Body is Deadly – 1800 334 637 support for First Nations people with body imageissues
- Butterly – Online chat
Support for alcohol and drug issues
- Counselling Online – for people struggling with substance abuse, their families and friends.