WOMEN’S Regaine® EXTRA STRENGTH
MINOXIDIL 5% W/W TOPICAL FOAM
Consumer Medicine Information
Please read this booklet carefully. It will help you understand how to use WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam and what to expect from its use. It takes time to regrow hair. Results may occur at 3 months with once daily usage. For some women, you may need to use this product for at least 6 months before you see results. If you have any questions after reading this booklet, or anytime while using WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, you should ask your doctor or pharmacist or call our Consumer Care Centre 1800 029 979 (Australia) or 0800 446 147 (New Zealand).
WHAT IS WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam is a white foam containing 5% minoxidil for use only on the scalp to help regrow hair in women. It contains the active ingredient Minoxidil in a foam base of alcohol, water, glycerol, cetyl alcohol, citric acid, lactic acid, stearyl alcohol, polysorbate 60, butyl hydroxytoluene and propellant.
What is WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam used for?
WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam is used as a long-term treatment for common baldness. It is not a cure for baldness, but in some women it can improve hair regrowth.
WHO MAY USE WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam may be appropriate for you if you are an adult who is at least 18 years old and experiencing gradually thinning hair or gradual hair loss on the top of your scalp. The common hereditary thinning or hair loss process begins slowly and may become noticeable only after years of gradual loss.
WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam is for general thinning of hair on the top of the scalp as shown below. WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam has been shown to regrow hair in women with the degrees of hair loss shown. If women have more hair loss than shown, WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam may not work.
Many of those experiencing hair loss have other family members with gradual thinning of hair or hair loss. If there is no family history of gradual thinning or gradual hair loss, or hair loss is patchy, see your doctor.
WILL WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM WORK FOR ME?
The amount of hair regrowth is different for each person. Not everyone will respond to WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam. The response to WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam cannot be predicted. No one will be able to grow back all their hair.
To see your best results with WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, make sure you apply the product directly to the scalp once daily. For some women, WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam may not work.
WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam will not prevent or improve hair loss related to pregnancy, the use of some prescription and non-prescription medications, certain severe nutritional problems (very low body iron; excessive vitamin A intake), the recently discontinued use of birth control pills, low thyroid states (hypothyroidism), chemotherapy, or diseases which cause scarring of the scalp. Also, WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam will not improve hair loss due to:
- Damage from the use of hair care products which cause scarring or deep burns of the scalp.
- Hair grooming methods such as cornrowing or ponytails which require pulling the hair tightly back from the scalp.
HOW SOON CAN I EXPECT RESULTS FROM USING WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
Since normal hair usually grows only 1/2 to 1 inch per month, hair regrowth with WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam also takes time. Generally, new hair growth is slow for a WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam user. Results may be seen as early as 3 months with once daily use. For some women, it may take at least 6 months for results to be seen. If you do not see any results after 6 months, stop using WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam and seek the advice of your doctor or pharmacist.
When you first begin using WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, an increase in hair loss may occur within the first 2-6 weeks. However, if it continues, see your doctor or pharmacist.
IF WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM IS WORKING,WHAT WILL THE HAIR LOOK LIKE?
At first, hair growth may be soft, downy, and colourless hairs. After further use, the new hairs should be the same colour and thickness as the other hairs on your scalp.
HOW LONG DO I NEED TO USE WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
If you respond to WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, you need to use it once daily to keep and continue the hair regrowth. Up to 3 months of usage may be needed to see your best results from WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I COMPLETELY STOP USING WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM? WILL I KEEP THE NEW HAIR?
Continuous use of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam is needed to maintain hair regrowth. If you stop using WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, the normal hair loss process will start again. You will probably lose your newly regrown hair in three to four months.
HOW DO I USE WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
For best results, apply half a capful once a day directly to the scalp in the hair loss area. Using more than the recommended amount will not improve results. Each can should last two months, if used as directed. Never take this product by mouth or apply to other parts of the body. Please refer to the “Directions for Use” section of this booklet.
WHEN DO I USE WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
Apply WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam once daily. If you apply at night, allow application to dry completely before going to bed.
WHAT IF I FORGET TO USE WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM OR MISS A DOSE?
If you miss one daily dose of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, just continue with your next dose. You should not make up for missed doses.
CAN I USE WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM MORE THAN ONCE A DAY? WILL IT WORK FASTER, BETTER?
No. WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam will not work faster or better if used more than once a day. More frequent use or larger doses have not been shown to speed up hair growth and may increase your chances of side effects.
WHAT KIND OF SHAMPOO SHOULD I USE WITH WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
If you wash your scalp before applying WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, use a mild shampoo.
CAN I USE HAIR SPRAYS, MOUSSES, CONDITIONERS, GELS, ETC.?
Yes. There is no reason to change your usual hair care routine when using WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam. However, you should apply WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam first and wait for it to dry before applying your styling aids.
CAN I HAVE MY HAIR COLOURED OR PERMED OR USE HAIR RELAXERS WHILE USING WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
Yes. We have no evidence that colouring, perming, or using relaxers on your hair change the effect of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam. However, because the use of a permanent wave and hair colour can cause scalp irritation on certain people, we recommend the following precautions:
- To avoid possible scalp irritation, you should make sure all of the WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam has been washed off the hair and scalp before using colour or perm chemicals.
- For best results, do not apply WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam on the same day that you use a chemical treatment on your hair.
- Do not use WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam for 24 hours after using any chemicals to make sure your scalp has not been irritated by the perm or colour treatment. If no irritation occurs, continue use of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam as usual.
- Simply restart your normal WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam routine. There is no need to use more WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam to make up for missed applications. Missing one day of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam will not affect your hair regrowth results.
CAN I APPLY WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM AND WASH MY HAIR AN HOUR LATER?
No. For WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam to work best, you should allow WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam to remain on the scalp for about 4 hours before washing.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
- Please familiarize yourself with the instructions below in order to help make your product application a success.
- This product should be used ONCE DAILY, EVERY DAY.
- To be effective, it is important to apply the product DIRECTLY TO YOUR SCALP and NOT TO YOUR HAIR so that it can easily get to your hair follicles to help regrow your hair.
- There is no need to shampoo your hair before using the product. If you wish to shampoo your hair before applying WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, towel dry your hair so that the skin on the scalp is dry.
- TO OPEN the container: Hold ring (see diagram on page 12). While holding ring, twist cap to line up the arrow on the ring with the arrow on the cap. (Figure 1 below) Tilt cap back and pull off cap.
- Within your hair thinning areas, make a center part to help maximize scalp exposure. Part your hair at least 2 more times on each side of the center part (Figure 2 below).
- The foam may begin to melt on contact if your fingers are warm. Rinse your fingers in cold water first before dispensing. Be sure to dry them thoroughly before handling the foam.
- Hold the can straight upside down, press nozzle to dispense half a capful of the foam onto a non-absorbent surface (Figure 3 below). The total amount of foam applied should not exceed half a capful.
- Using your fingertips, spread just enough foam over the hair loss areas and gently massage the foam into the scalp starting from the back to front (forehead) direction (Figure 4 below). Use until all the foam is gone.
- After each use, thoroughly clean and dry the dish or saucer if used.
- Wash your hands well with soap and water after applying.
- TO CLOSE the container: place cap on container and snap into place. Be sure arrows do not line up so cap remains child resistant.
ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL WARNINGS ABOUT THE USE OF WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
For external use only.
Extremely flammable: Avoid fire, flame, or smoking during or immediately following application.
DO NOT USE IF
- you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- you are unsure of the reason for your hair loss.
- your degree of hair loss is more than that shown on page 2 of this booklet, because this product may not work for you.
- you have no family history of hair loss.
- your hair loss is sudden and/or patchy.
- your hair loss is associated with childbirth.
- you do not know the reason for you hair loss.
- you are under 18 or over 65 years of age.
- your scalp is red, inflamed, infected, irritated, or painful.
- You have had an allergic reaction to WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam or any of its ingredients.
- you use other medicines on the scalp.
- The expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
Ask your pharmacist or doctor if:
- You are taking any other medicines, including medicines you have bought without a prescription from a pharmacy or a supermarket.
- You have any heart problems such as heart failure or disorders of heart rhythm.
- You have blood pressure problems.
- You have any skin diseases.
- You have had a stroke.
Some medicines may affect the way others work. Your pharmacist or doctor will be able to tell you what to do when using WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam with other medicines.
WHEN USING THIS PRODUCT
- do not use more than directed.
- do not apply on other parts of the body.
- avoid contact with the eyes. In case of accidental contact, rinse eyes with large amounts of cool tap water.
- dizziness or decrease in blood pressure may occur. If affected, do not drive or operate machinery.
- some people have experienced changes in hair colour and/or texture.
- it takes time to regrow hair. Results may occur in 3 months with once daily use. For some women you may need to use this product once daily for at least 6 months before you see results.
- the amount of hair regrowth is different for each person.
This product will not work for everyone.
STOP USE AND CONSULT A DOCTOR IF
- chest pain, rapid heartbeat, faintness, or dizziness occurs
- decrease in blood pressure or blood pressure changes are detected
- sudden, unexplained weight gain occurs
- your hands or feet swell
- scalp irritation or redness occurs
- unwanted facial hair growth occurs
- you do not see hair regrowth in 6 months
May be harmful if used when pregnant or breast-feeding.
Keep out of reach of children.
Accidental ingestion may cause serious side effects. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poisons Information Centre (telephone number AUS: 13 11 26, NZ: 0800 764 766) immediately.
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON SIDE EFFECTS WITH WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
The most common side effects are itching and other skin irritations of the treated area of the scalp. WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam contains alcohol, which would cause burning or irritation of the eyes or sensitive skin areas.
If WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam accidentally gets into these areas, rinse with large amounts of cool tap water. Stop using WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam and contact your doctor if irritation persists.
CAN WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM PRODUCE UNWANTED HAIR?
Unwanted hair growth has been reported on the face and on other parts of the body with REGAINE® use. Unwanted hair growth may be caused by the transfer of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam to areas other than the scalp, or by absorption into the circulatory system of low levels of the active ingredient, or by a medical condition not related to the use of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam.
If you experience unwanted hair, discontinue using WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam and see your doctor for recommendations about appropriate treatment. After stopping use of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, the unwanted hair, if caused by the use of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, should go away over time. You can take steps to decrease the chances for unwanted hair growth:
- Limit the application of WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam only to the scalp,
- If you use the hands to apply WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam, wash your hands thoroughly afterwards, and
- Allow sufficient drying time before going to bed (usually 2 to 4 hours before going to bed after applying WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam).
CAN I USE WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM FOR BALDNESS OR HAIR LOSS IN BABIES AND CHILDREN?
No. WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam must not be used to treat baldness or hair loss in babies or children.
WHAT FACTORS MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS WITH WOMEN’S REGAINE® FOAM?
WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam should be applied only to the scalp. The risk of side effects may be greater when WOMEN’S REGAINE® Foam is applied to other parts of the body.
If you have any other questions, ask your health care professional call our Customer Care Centre 1800 029 979 (Australia) or 0800 446 147 (New Zealand).
Storage condition: Protect from sunlight. Do not expose to temperatures above 50°C. Store below 25°C.
Save this booklet for future reference.
- Hold RING. (See diagram)
- While holding RING twist CAP to line up white arrow on RING with gray arrow on CAP.
- Pull off the CAP.
- Place CAP on container and snap into place.
- Be sure arrows DO NOT line up so CAP remains child resistant.
Published by MIMS January 2019