LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 eye drops
contains the active ingredients latanoprost and timolol (as maleate)
Consumer Medicine Information
What is in this leaflet
This leaflet answers some common questions about LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5.
It does not contain all the available information. It does not take the place of talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
All medicines have benefits and risks. Your doctor has weighed the risks of you taking LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 against the benefits expected for you.
If you have any concerns about taking this medicine, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Keep this leaflet with your medicine. You may need to read it again.
What LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 is used for
This medicine is used to lower raised pressure in the eye and to treat glaucoma.
Glaucoma is a condition in which the pressure of fluid in the eye may be high. However, some people with glaucoma may have normal eye pressure.
Glaucoma is usually caused by a build up of the fluid which flows through the eye. This build up occurs because the fluid drains out of your eye more slowly than it is being pumped in. Since new fluid continues to enter the eye, joining the fluid already there, the pressure continues to rise. This raised pressure may damage the back of the eye resulting in gradual loss of sight. Damage can progress so slowly that the person is not aware of this gradual loss of sight. Sometimes even normal eye pressure is associated with damage to the back of the eye.
There are usually no symptoms of glaucoma. If glaucoma is not treated it can lead to serious problems, including total blindness. In fact, untreated glaucoma is one of the most common causes of blindness.
LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 is made up of 2 active ingredients, latanoprost and timolol maleate. Latanoprost works by allowing more fluid to flow out from within your eye(s). Timolol maleate lowers the pressure in the eye by reducing the production of fluid.
Latanoprost belongs to a family of medicines called prostaglandin agonists. Timolol maleate belongs to a family of medicines called beta-blockers.
Although LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 helps control your glaucoma it does not cure it. So you must keep using it until your doctor tells you to stop.
Ask your doctor if you have any questions about why this medicine has been prescribed for you. Your doctor may have prescribed it for another reason.
LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 is not recommended for use in children. The safety and effectiveness of LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 in children have not been established.
Before you take LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5
When you must not take it
Do not take LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 if you have an allergy to:
- any medicine containing latanoprost and timolol maleate
- any of the ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet
Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction may include:
- shortness of breath
- wheezing or difficulty breathing
- swelling of the face, lips, tongue or other parts of the body
- rash, itching or hives on the skin
Do not take LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 if:
- you have asthma, or a history of asthma, chronic obstructive lung disease (emphysema) or other breathing problems
- you have certain heart conditions, such as a very slow heart rate, an irregular heart beat, or heart failure
Do not give this medicine to a child. Safety and effectiveness in children have not been established.
Do not take this medicine after the expiry date printed on the pack or if the packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering. If it has expired or is damaged, return it to your pharmacist for disposal.
If you are not sure whether you should start taking this medicine, talk to your doctor.
Before you start to take it
Tell your doctor if you have allergies to any other medicines, foods, preservatives or dyes.
Tell your doctor if you have or have had any of the following medical conditions:
- heart disease
- lung disease
- circulation problems
- any other types of glaucoma or eye conditions
- myasthenia gravis
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding. Your doctor can discuss with you the risks and benefits involved.
There is no adequate experience with LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 in pregnant women, therefore it should not be used during pregnancy.
One of the active ingredients in LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 has been detected in breast milk. Because of the potential harm to the infant, nursing women should either stop using LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 or stop breastfeeding while using it.
If you have not told your doctor about any of the above, tell him/her before you start taking LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5.
Taking other medicines
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including any that you get without a prescription from a pharmacy, supermarket or health food shop.
Some medicines and LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 may interfere with each other. These include:
- certain medicines used to treat high blood pressure or heart conditions such as beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers or digoxin
- certain medicines used to treat irregular heart beats such as amiodarone and quinidine
- certain medicines used to treat depression such as phenelzine, fluoxetine or paroxetine
- some medicines used to treat Parkinson’s disease, such as selegiline
- adrenaline, a hormone used in the treatment of asthma, slow or irregular heart beat, acute allergic disorders and glaucoma
- some medicines that may have been prescribed to help you pass urine or restore normal bowel movements
- narcotics such as morphine used to treat moderate to severe pain
- eye drops which contain an ingredient called thiomersal. If using such eye drops as well as LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5, you should wait at least 5 minutes between using these eye drops and LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5.
- medicines used to treat diabetes or high blood sugar
- some other eye drops that contain a beta-blocker or a prostaglandin. The use of two or more beta-blocker eye drops and/or two or more prostaglandin eye drops at the same time is not recommended.
These medicines may be affected by LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 or may affect how well it works. You may need different amounts of your medicines, or you may need to take different medicines.
Your doctor and pharmacist have more information on medicines to be careful with or avoid while taking this medicine.
How to take LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5
Follow all directions given to you by your doctor and pharmacist carefully. They may differ from the information contained in this leaflet.
If you do not understand the instructions on the box/bottle, ask your doctor or pharmacist for help.
If you are being changed from one eye drop to another, follow your doctor’s instructions carefully as to when to stop the old drops and when to start the new drops.
How much to take
The usual dose of LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 is one drop into the affected eye, or eyes, once daily.
How to take it
If you are wearing soft contact lenses, remove them before putting the drops in your eye. The preservative in LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 (benzalkonium chloride) may be deposited in soft contact lenses. You can put your soft contact lenses backing to your eyes 15 minutes after you have used LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5.
If using other eye drops in addition to LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5, wait at least 5 minutes before putting any other drops in your eye(s).
Be careful not to touch the dropper tip against your eye, eyelid or anything else. Touching the dropper tip against something may contaminate the eye drops and give you an eye infection.
You may find it easier to put drops in your eye while you are sitting or lying down.
- Wash your hands well with soap and water
- Twist off the protective overcap from the bottle
- Unscrew the inner cap
- Use your finger to gently pull down the lower eyelid of your affected eye
- Tilt your head back and look up
- Place the tip of the bottle close to but not touching your eye. Squeeze the bottle gently so that only one drop goes into your eye, then release the lower eyelid. Close your eye. Do not blink or rub your eye
- While your eye is closed, place your index finger against the inside corner of your eye and press against your nose for about two minutes. This will help to stop the medicine from draining through the tear duct to the nose and throat, from where it can be absorbed into other parts of your body. Ask your doctor for more specific instructions on this technique
- Screw the inner cap back on the bottle
- Wash your hands again with soap and water to remove any residue
You may feel a slight burning sensation in the eye shortly after using the eye drops.
If this persists, or is very uncomfortable, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
When to take it
Use LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 every day, at about the same time each day, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
Using your eye drops at the same time each day will have the best effect on your eye pressure. It will also help you remember when to use the eye drops.
How long to take it
Continue taking your medicine for as long as your doctor tells you to. This medicine helps to control your condition, but does not cure it. It is important to keep taking your medicine even if you feel well.
If you forget to take it
If you miss a dose, skip the dose you missed and take your next dose when you are meant to.
Do not take a double dose to make up for the dose you missed. This may increase the chance of you getting an unwanted side effect.
If you are not sure what to do, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
If you have trouble remembering to take your medicine, ask your pharmacist for some hints.
If you take too much (overdose)
If you accidentally put several drops in your eye(s), immediately rinse your eye(s) with warm water.
Immediately telephone your doctor or the Poisons Information Centre (telephone 13 11 26) for advice, or go to Accident and Emergency at the nearest hospital, if you think that you or anyone else may have swallowed LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5. Do this even if there are no signs of discomfort or poisoning.
If LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 is accidentally swallowed, or if you use too many drops, you may feel light-headed or dizzy, you may faint, have a very slow pulse rate, or have wheezing or difficulty breathing. Other effects include headache, nausea, abdominal pain, fatigue, hot flushes and sweating.
You may need urgent medical attention.
While you are taking LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5
Things you must do
To make sure LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 is working properly, have your eye pressure checked regularly. Have your eyes checked regularly for any other changes, including a change in eye colour.
A slow change in eye colour, which may be permanent, has been reported to occur in some patients who use LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5. Your doctor will decide whether you should continue using LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5.
If you develop an eye infection, receive an eye injury, or have eye surgery tell your doctor. Your doctor may tell you to use a new container of LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 because of possible contamination of the old one, or may advise you to stop your treatment with LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5.
If you are about to be started on any new medicine, remind your doctor and pharmacist that you are taking LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5.
Tell any other doctors, dentists and pharmacists who treat you that you are taking this medicine.
If you are going to have surgery, tell the surgeon or anaesthetist that you are taking this medicine. It may affect other medicines used during surgery.
If you become pregnant while taking this medicine, tell your doctor immediately.
Things you must not do
Do not take LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 to treat any other complaints unless your doctor tells you to.
Do not give your medicine to anyone else, even if they have the same condition as you.
Do not stop taking your medicine or change the dosage without checking with your doctor. If you stop taking it, your eye pressures may rise again and damage to your eye may occur.
Things to be careful of
Be careful driving or operating machinery until you know how LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 affects you. LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 generally does not cause any problems with your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. However, it may cause blurred vision in some people. Make sure you know how you react to LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 or that your vision is clear before driving a car or operating machinery.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible if you do not feel well while you are taking LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5. This medicine helps most people with lowering raised pressure in the eye, but it may have unwanted side effects in some people.
All medicines can have side effects. Sometimes they are serious, most of the time they are not. You may need medical attention if you get some of the side effects.
Do not be alarmed by the following list of side effects. You may not experience any of them.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist to answer any questions you may have.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you notice any of the following and they worry you:
- a slow change in eye colour over a period of time. The iris may become more brown in colour and appear darker. This change may be permanent and more noticeable if you are only being treated in one eye
- blurred vision, double vision or other visual problems
- allergic reactions including redness, swelling and/or itching of the eye
- burning, grittiness or stinging of the eyes
- eye pain
- redness or watering of the eye/s
- irritation or feeling of having something in the eye, dry eyes
- discharge, itching of the eye/s, crusty eyelashes
- drooping of eyelid/s
- darkening, thickening, lengthening or an increase in the number of eye lashes and fine hair on the eyelids
- misdirected eye lashes sometimes causing eye irritation
- darkening of the skin of the eyelids
- crusting, redness, thickening, itching or burning of the eyelids
- sensitivity to light
- tiredness, weakness
- ringing or buzzing in the ears
- difficulty sleeping, nightmares
- change in mood such as depression, anxiety or nervousness
- confusion, disorientation or memory loss
- feeling sick (nausea) or vomiting, upset or painful stomach
- dry mouth
- change to your sense of taste
- cold hands or feet
- numbness, tingling and colour change (white, blue then red) in fingers when exposed to the cold (Raynaud’s Phenomenon)
- numbness or tingling in the fingers or toes
- nasal congestion
- hair loss or thinning
- less desire for sex
- impotence or sexual dysfunction
- muscle/joint pain
- skin rash
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:
- fast or irregular heart beat, also called palpitations
- dizziness and light-headedness, which may be due to low blood pressure
- skin rash, itching
- swelling of hands, feet, ankles or legs
The above list includes serious side effects that may require medical attention. Serious side are rare.
If any of the following happen, stop taking LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 and tell your doctor immediately or go to Accident and Emergency at your nearest hospital:
- wheezing, difficulty in breathing (asthma or worsening of asthma)
- shortness of breath
- very slow pulse, chest pain
- swelling of the face, lips, mouth, tongue or throat which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing
- severe and sudden onset of pinkish, itchy swellings on the skin, also called hives or nettle rash
The above list includes very serious side effects. You may need urgent medical attention or hospitalisation. These side effects are very rare.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you notice anything that is making you feel unwell. Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some people.
After taking LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5
Before opening LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5, keep the bottle in its box in a refrigerator (2°C-8°C) protected from light.
After opening LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5, keep the bottle in its box in a cool place where the temperature stays below 25°C, but do not refrigerate. Keep the box properly closed and protected from light.
Do not store LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 or any other medicine in the bathroom or near a sink. Do not leave it on a window sill or in the car. Heat and dampness can destroy some medicines.
Put the top back on the bottle right away after use to avoid contaminating the eye drops.
Keep it where children cannot reach it. A locked cupboard at least one-and-a-half metres above the ground is a good place to store medicines.
Write the date on the bottle when you open the eye drops and throw out any remaining solution after four weeks.
Open a new bottle every 4 weeks. Eye drops contain a preservative which helps prevent germs growing in the solution for the first four weeks after opening the bottle. After this time there is a greater risk that the drops may become contaminated and cause an eye infection.
If your doctor tells you to stop taking this medicine or the expiry date has passed, ask your pharmacist what to do with any medicine that is left over.
What it looks like
LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 eye drops is a clear and colourless solution come in a plastic bottle with a dropper and screw cap inside a protective overcap containing 2.5 mL eye drop solution, giving a minimum of 80 drops. This volume is enough to last 4 weeks if used in both eyes. Remove this overcap before use.
Each 1 mL of LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 contains 50 microgram of latanoprost and 5 mg of timolol (as maleate) as the active ingredient. Each drop contains about 1.5 microgram of latanoprost and 150 microgram of timolol.
It also contains the following inactive ingredients:
- sodium chloride
- monobasic sodium phosphate
- dibasic anhydrous sodium phosphate
- water for injections
- benzalkonium chloride (as preservative)
This medicine does not contain lactose, sucrose, gluten, tartrazine or any other azo dyes.
LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5 is supplied in Australia by:
Alphapharm Pty Limited
(ABN 93 002 359 739)
Level 1, 30 The Bond
30-34 Hickson Road
Millers Point NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9298 3999
Australian Registration Numbers:
LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5: AUST R 217133
This leaflet was prepared on 3 September 2014.
LATANOPROST-TIMOLOL ALPHAPHARM 50/5_cmiDEC14/00
Published by MIMS April 2015