How do I find out about the doctor or hospital I’ve been referred to?

by | Cancer Care, Videos

In order to find out about the expertise of the facility you’ve been referred to, there are a number of things you can do.

In some States, New South Wales is a good example, The governmental agency, the New South Wales Cancer Institute actually has a website and a system called Canrefer that really identifies, which hospitals have expertise in which particular cancers.

And very similar systems exist in other states. It’s also possible to ask your GP to do some research and to speak to the people that they know.

And finally, it is possible to do the research yourself, to look at which facilities are active in these areas, by looking at their website, understanding what research they’ve been involved in and what expertise the individual doctors have.

Professor Michael Boyer is Medical Oncologist at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse

Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Signup to our newsletter
Get all the latest health and lifestyle news straight to your inbox